Coming Home
Friday, October 26, 2007
Call me a skeptic, but for years after college graduation, I didn't return to campus. I didn't see a need - my friends were no longer there (with a few exceptions), my life had moved to another state, and I didn't feel a particularly strong loyalty to the university.

When I was in college and high school, I assumed the boomerang alumni simply didn't have anything better to do. My life didn't revolve around being a UIUC or NNHS alumni, so why would anyone elses? Now I understand that the draw is the people -- getting together with the folks that represent a great time in one's life. Like a vivid memory that pops up when I hear a certain song, these are the people in which my memories manifest themselves. They were there - for the stupid tears about an ex-boyfriend, me falling down mostly drunk (but also a little hyper) in the parking lot behind the YMCA, supporting me at every pointless dance team event in which I usually wore something skimpy and didn't do much but jump around, everything.

I've always been so focused on barreling forward, pushing on to the next thing - always moving, moving, moving. It's stupid, really, because I should have been focused on living in the present when I still had all those great folks around me. Now we're older, spread out, different. So this homecoming, I'm going to concentrate on what really matters: spending time with my friends, enjoying the feeling of being on campus and NOT having any exams for which to study, and being able to drink legally outdoors!

Some things never change.

Have a great weekend, everybody.