Reaching My Limits
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Sometimes, I am a genuinely lovely person to hang out with - I'm witty, fall easily into non-threatening conversation, and can't wait to give a stranger a big, unsolicited smile just for the hell of it. Because I'm in a good mood.

And sometimes, there are weeks like this one. Weeks that prove, in startling detail, what I consider to be reality: that I do not generally fall under the heading of "happy go lucky." (snort) Duh.

So I'm going to say it now, loud and proud. It's all part of life, right? Figuring out your own boundaries and limitations?

1. If one more person compares me to Bette Midler or Kathy Griffin, heads will roll.

2. The dog peed by my desk. AGAIN. I do not have time to shampoo the carpets, so I'm just going to cover the treated spot with his bed in the hopes that he gets the message and doesn't do it again.

3. I had a to-do list today that took up every line on the top page of my legal pad. Literally. I got exactly 5 things done, one of which was "shower." Awesome.

4. I do NOT understand Veronica Webb's role in the show "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style." What, Tim Gunn wasn't believable or trustworthy enough to carry the show alone? So they hired someone who apparently has decided to make herself over from a hot-as-hell supermodel glamazon into what appears to be a post-op transsexual from the Hamptons?! Huh?

5. I needed a drink so badly this evening that I actually opened up the bottle of Door County Dry Cherry Wine that my mother brought back from her summer outing, because it was the only thing I had in the house (other than lime vodka with no mixer). Yuck. And yet? I drank two glasses. Because I was desperate, and water didn't seem to fit the bill.

Fortunately, I have a wonderful weekend of merriment planned for myself - just the thing to lift one's self out of the doldrums. Time spent with friends, like my dear Kathleen Nora and Babsie. Also, a trip to some sort of national championship martial arts/ultimate fighting competition, courtesy of Sean who knows somebody who knows somebody. Too bad my sty went away, or I'd fit right in with my big, fat shiner.

Hope you all have wonderful weekends, and give a stranger a smile. You know, for me.