Weekend Update with Jamie Jamerkins
Monday, December 03, 2007
Outside of two wonderful evenings spent with friends, the unavoidable, obvious highlight of my weekend was THIS. (the link is actually a PDF)

Yes, that's right. I went to a fight. Me, the girl who covers her face with pillows during violence on television and in films. The one who can't even stand to watch an awkward moment on reality tv. I saw some people beat the shit out of each other.

Now, first things first. Through friends, Sean knows last year's World Lightweight Shidokan Champion, PB. So when he heard that the 2007 Championship would be here in our very own Chicago, Sean got tickets. Two tickets. I think we can all see where this is going.

So I went, and THANK GOD there was alcohol available because I would have been otherwise traumatized. Two Miller Lites into the evening, my NASCAR-loving, competitive self (which VERY rarely makes appearances in real life) came out swinging. I was able to actually watch people hit each other, kick each other, and even managed to survive witnessing some dude bloody up another dude's face. There was blood all over the place.

Gory details aside, I have to tell you - I found it really interesting. As a dancer, I could tell immediately who was stronger with their upper body and who was stronger with their legs...and which fighters were slower to respond. The venue was intimate enough so that you could hear the skin slap of a hard roundhouse kick - it was crazy. And weird.

Also - the ring girls? Wholly unimpressive. Yuck, in fact, Just yuck. If you're being brought to an event, and your SOLE PURPOSE is to rock a hard body and look cute, don't show up with nappy extensions, and socks on between your pantyhose and gym shoes.

Not that I'm judgmental or anything. (cough)

I wouldn't say I'm Shidokan's newest, rabid fan, but I would say that I have a new respect for martial arts -- and martial arts is all about respect. So hopefully the Shidokan folks would take that a compliment.