A Giant Opportunity
Monday, January 21, 2008
I'm not much for football. If the game is tight and interesting to watch, then I'll watch, otherwise I just get bored. Yesterday, I was fixated on the Giants-Packers game for several reasons...the primary one being my hatred of all things Packers. Some Bears fans break down and support the Pack in the post-season.

I am not one of them.


Talk about a nailbiter! I found myself clutching my chest with each missed kick, and at the very end, I just about stroked out with anxiety for Laurence Tynes. And like my mother and my grandmother before me, I got all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about how he got a chance to redeem himself, to right the wrongs of the earlier missed kicks, etc. I kept thinking about how nervous his mother must have been, up in that stadium suite (or wherever the family sits). As a generally non-competitive person, I tend to worry about the feelings of the players - especially in a harsh loss situation.

That is, the feelings of the players who aren't the Packers.

All is well that ends well, I suppose. At least until New England hits the field in Arizona.