Weekend Update
Monday, February 04, 2008
Man, that weekend FLEW BY. Oh, and did you know it's February now? Just yesterday, it was Christmas. Seriously. This time warp feeling - is it a sign that I'm getting older, or just more forgetful?

Wait, don't answer that.

Friday night, I prepared for what I knew was going to be a relatively busy weekend (at least for my life). Put laundry away, vacuumed twice, ordered groceries, and worked on planning details of our upcoming vacation to Seattle/Vancouver/Tofino, BC. It was nice to get it done - all the housekeeping that normally falls straight to the bottom of the priority list.

Saturday, I was up with the sun (damn you, generic grocery delivery window!). Made some coffee, read some Hemingway, and finished putting the second coat of paint on the pantry walls. I always curse my way through painting, but LOVE LOVE LUUURRRVVE the results. So it was time well spent.

Then off to a haircut (bangs! again! Will I never make up my damn mind?!), then to see a movie with Jen and KateK, with a spicy, fun dinner afterwards. As a small group of close friends, we have so much stuff going on these days (events of every type and kind) that we haven't really hung out a lot. It was so nice to sit down and just chat about everything and nothing. Also, red beans and rice: need I say more?

A profile of the hair and my enormous nostrils:
Will I NEVER learn the proper self-portrait angles? Geez.

Sunday morning, I slept in (thank you, merciful Gods of small, canine bladder control), ran to get a big Diet Coke and the paper. Fifteen minutes later, my parents descended to help me finish the pantry renovations. My father, whom many of you know as P-Bomb or Dick Cheney, was an instrumental part of this work. Last week he decided that he knew exactly what I wanted, and based on a diagram I'd emailed him months earlier, went out and bought everything he needed. (gotta love a bored retiree) So my parents showed up with everything, literally, and we all got to work. He was right - he knew exactly what I wanted.


I hate it when he's right.


Four hours later, I had the most beautiful pantry in all the history of the world. Or maybe just the world of people who own studio apartments. Either way, I am thrilled with the results. So thrilled that I took my finished pantry photos to a SuperBowl party with me yesterday.

It's a miracle I even have friends anymore with that kind of behavior.

No, really, I took a pantry that is approximately 2-1/2 feet square and made it into a really functional, modular storage/drygoods closet of sorts. Rather, I had the vision and my father made it physically possible. No more cheap-arse wire shelves that bow and don't really hold anything small, no more sessions of strategic rearrangement every time I want to cook something, and now my spices are organized. Amen. Also, did you know that grip-palmed oven mitts are really useful for holding slick-finished wood panels when they're being sawed? I BET YOU DIDN'T.

This morning when I woke up, I ran into the kitchen, threw open the bi-fold door and just sort of stared at it in all its organized glory. I wanted to (a) make sure the goodness hadn't been some sort of dream, and (b) the dog was scratching the hell out of my leg, whining, and generally wanting to be fed.

As for the superbowl, well that was a great end to the weekend. I met up with my closest friends at a beautiful condo, had a little too much beer (just a shade too much, I wasn't trashed or anything), stole some perfume directly from KateT's neck (courtesy of a completely white trash maneuver that I learned from a sorority sister of mine in 1998), and was only brave enough to cheer out loud at the very end, when I revealed my loyalty to the underdog at the precise moment they decided to reveal the ability to win under pressure (how cute is that Strahan guy?! I love the gap in his front teeth).

(what is up with me and the parentheticals today?)

(i don't know)

Hope you all had a great weekend.