You Can't Handle the Truth!
Thursday, February 07, 2008
Recently, I've been thinking about networking with other bloggers - why some bloggers are reclusive, why others are open, etc. I happened upon Neilotchka's Interview Experiment, and decided to sign up. Shortly thereafter, I received word that Emily of Something Shiny! was assigned to interview me.

Here are my answers to her questions:

1) Confession: I’m totally envious of your traveling. You went to Switzerland last year and this year you’re headed to the Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Vancouver/Tofino). If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? Who would you want along for the trip? How do you choose your vacation destinations?

Technically, EMILY, this is four questions. Ha! I'm such a bitch. I guess the one that immediately springs to mind is Ireland - some folks might pick something a little more exotic, but not me. I'm dying to get there - I'm sure I will at some point, at least I hope so. I really want to see the lush green hills, the stonework and old homes, and I hear there's a lot of beer there. So that's also a huge plus. (smirk) I would be happy to travel with anyone, but I most enjoy traveling with Sean and my family. As for my criteria in choosing vacations, it's usually whatever gets in my brain and sticks there. I read about Tofino on another blog and couldn't get the idea out of my head, so we just went with it.

2) From reading your blog, you seem to do a great job balancing work, a social life, and personal hobbies. What’s your secret?

Wow, that is a huge compliment, thanks. I don't really have a secret because, truth be told, I don't think I balance it all that well - but the most important thing is that I'm not married to my job, and I'm not married to my friends. I think moderation in all things (except eating, of course) is a good thing. I work hard when it's time to work, and I love to spend time with my friends as much as I love spending time alone.

3) I love your “Reading” posts, where you type an excerpt of, for example, a book you’re reading and then link it all to Amazon. What gave you the idea?

BUSTED. That is a straight-up Dooce ripoff. She used to do it all the time, but either doesn't read as much as she used to, or has given up that particular formatting.

4) Whatever happened to the Tramp Stamp idea of your mother’s? (I love your dad's response, by the way!)

So far, things are pending. The women (my sister, my mother, and myself) all seem up for the challenge, and the men have respectfully told us that we're crazy and they don't plan on participating. Hrmph. When we set a date, I'll be blogging all about it, don't you worry.

5) What do you love or hate about living in Chicago? Do you ever picture yourself living elsewhere?

I love how manageable the city is - nothing is ever too far away. People are nice here (it's the Midwest, after all), and I am close to family. I hate the really, REALLY cold weather when it hurts my skin to be outdoors, and the rats in the alley behind my condo building. I could picture myself living many places, and am open to moving around, but I'll always consider the Chicagoland area to be home.

6) When you have out-of-town visitors to Chicago, where do you take them?

Hmm, this is a tough one as I am kind of a shitty host in this sense. The first places that come to mind are the Museum of Science & Industry, Millenium Park/Michigan Avenue (but only if the weather is nice), the Field Museum, and to a deep-dish pizza joint.

7) I noticed that you don’t blog about your workplace (at one point you referred to it as the “Place-That-Pays-My-Bills-and-Shall-Not-Be-Blogged-About”). How did you make that decision, and why?

First off, I absolutely do not want to EVER get fired for having a blog. I am an all-or-nothing person in many respects, and if I started blogging EVEN A LITTLE about my job, I would probably run my mouth off into the danger zone. So I have a strict policy that it's never discussed - nobody needs to know where I work, or what I do. Also, I have a deep respect for my employer and my colleagues, and would never want to jeopardize my employment.

8) If you could swap jobs with anybody for a week, what would it be and why?

I would trade jobs with anyone on the management staff at a professional dance company - no question about it. I would give anything to see what REALLY goes down behind closed doors, rehearsal doors, and at meetings. The dance industry, as a business, is hugely interesting to me.

9) Where did you get your unabashed love of NASCAR?

It's all Sean's fault. He's kind of a motorhead in many ways, and from what I understand, has always been into racing. He bought tickets to the Chicagoland race three years ago, and that was all it took. Hook, line, and sinker. I love almost everything about it - it's hilarious, it's interesting, it has the best people watching in the world, and I really like having something that we both enjoy together.

10) Since you’ve been blogging for several years now (since 2004, I believe), I’ll ask this: Why do you blog? What got you into blogging?

Outright boredom. I was bored with my job at the time, bored with my life, and needed an outlet.

11) I notice that you have what you call an “actual website,” at feetfirmlyplanted.com. What are your plans for the site?

Holy pajamas, busted again! I have been completely slack on this, haven't I? Sean did all the legwork on my other site as a Christmas gift two years ago, and for various reasons, I never got past the initial setup phase. For the past year or so, the site had been hacked by someone who blacked it out and covered the page in cyrillic text, but recently I've noticed that it's back to normal. This is one of the things I have on my "must bring to fruition" list for 2008. I swear.

12) Like you, I’ve gone back and forth on whether or not to get a second dog. Clearly, this is something you’ve been thinking about for a while. What are your thoughts on it now? Do they change day to day?

Yes, they do change on a daily basis. I'm constantly surfing animal rescue websites for another. 95% of me is sure that two dogs would be so much fun about 95% of the time. It's the collective remaining 5% that keeps me from pulling the trigger. I think I will wait until I'm in a living environment where there are no shared walls, and preferably, with a backyard before I get another dog. It will happen eventually, though.

13) I noticed that you and I share a dislike of Florida. What don’t you like about it?

The heat. The humidity. Old people driving poorly. The sun. The heat. The humidity. The soil - seriously, it's way sandy. Oh, and did I mention the heat and humidity? I'm a cold weather girl.

14) Last year you turned 28. What have you learned in your late twenties that you wish you knew when you were younger?

I've learned that even if I'm never going to be a naturally flexible person, I need to at least TRY to roll with the punches. I've learned that I need to relax sometimes and not take it all so seriously. I've learned that I'm just as gullible now as ever.

15) You clearly have a very close relationship with your family. In what ways are you just like them? In what ways are you completely different?

I am more like my family than I sometimes like to admit. I am like them in how it takes me fifteen minutes to leave a party or gathering - I'm always still talking, putting on another scarf, petting the dog again, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to just say goodbye and walk out the door. I am like them in my mannerisms, my way of speaking, and my freckles. I am not like them in my sometimes brash personality - all of my immediate family members have a softer way about them that is hard to explain.

That's all folks. Thanks again, Emily!