Spring Cleaning for the Brain
Thursday, April 10, 2008
"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Lately, as per usual for this time of year, I have been feeling seriously cooped up and crazy. This is really saying something because I am a major homebody - and when someone who really likes to stay at home says that she is feeling stir-crazy, you KNOW something is amiss.

I have spent the last two weeks making long, detailed lists. You know, the usual - list of things to purge/donate, list of things to sell at spring yard sale, list of spring cleaning chores to be done, etc. The lists never end, and I like it that way. Lists define me in a sense, and I feel more comfortable when I have a plan of action. It may sound maddening to some, but I absolutely cannot stand waiting around, wandering, and/or flying by the seat of my proverbial trousers.

Last night, I had an energy burst unlike my usual late-night second wind and managed to do the following:

- empty dishwasher
- wash every towel in the place
- wash bath mats and white socks (bleach fest!)
- reorganize my interim crafting/sewing area
- start putting together yard sale "to sell" pile
- closet purge of winter clothes not worn this year (or last)
- reorganization of hall closet
- dusting
- reorganization of main bookshelf
- reorganization of camera & iPod paraphenalia
- disinfect kitchen
- put spring shoes in closet
- prepare closet for warm weather clothing


Also, I finally decided to get rid of two enormous Bombay Sapphire bottles that I was saving for a rainy day art project. I love their square shape, the brilliant cerulean color of the glass, and desperately wanted to make something lovely. Then I realized that I would never want to leave the house to go get crafting materials in the rain, and that plan was squashed for good. Also - let's say I make them into gorgeous vases. If I use them for a dinner party (because I have so many of those), people aren't going to love the glass the way I do. They're going to look at them, and wonder exactly how much of a drinking problem I have. Not good.

I may not have gotten to the true spring cleaning yet, as I'm not currently up to my elbows in baking soda paste or white vinegar (green cleaning! easier than one would think!)...but I'm getting there. And that feels pretty darn good.

I think tonight I'll open up my windows and finish my cleaning while listening to the rain on the roof outside.