Hostess with the Most-ess (or Not)
Thursday, May 29, 2008
I volunteered to host my book club for our May meeting. It's tomorrow. The book up for discussion is Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild," of which (I suspect) the group will generally approve. We're a pretty amiable bunch - that is, until the conversation turns to baby names, religion, and premarital cohabitation/relations.

Have I mentioned that it's a mother/daughter book club? (cough)

Anyhow, I decided that it would be funny to have a dinner consisting of heavy appetizers INSTEAD of our normal, sitdown gathering where we chat, prior to discussing the book. So I put together a completely random grouping of recipes that I've been wanting to try - all of which are, of course, appetizers. Since the book is about life on the road, and camping, I thought mobile food (complete with adorable toothpicks!) would just be funny and quirky. Camping food! Baked Beans - it's not an appetizer! Let's overlook that little detail! People can just graze! Like a picnic! Funny!

Now have another glass of wine.

I'm getting deeper into meal preparation this week and I'm thinking it might end up just being weird. So far, I've been forced to obtain a melon baller, a garlic press, and experiment with marshmellow in the oven. If you hear screaming coming from the South Loop tomorrow night, send help - and six cheese pizzas.

Here's the menu:
- Spinach/Artichoke Dip w/crostini
- Sweet/Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Bites (Paula Deen)
- Baked Beans (Pioneer Woman)
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Twice Baked Potato Bites
- Veggie Platter w/Roasted Red Pepper Hummus & Dill Dip
- S'Mores Bars for dessert (with ice cream)

God help me.