Hello, Girardeau Family!*
Monday, August 25, 2008
As some of you may know, I have Democrat leanings. Which is odd, considering that I was a member of the Young Republican association on my college campus.

In hindsight, I think I really just joined as a resume booster (and also? to meet guys). Don't ever say that I wasn't honest with you.

Typically I am more than capable of pulling aside the veil of modern political rhetoric - I was, after all, a Speech Communications major, well aware of every oratory tactic in the book- but tonight I was mesmerized by Michelle Obama's speech. I was surprised and impressed by the energy and gusto of Senator Kennedy's speech, particularly given his current condition. I thought the whole evening, which I uncharacteristically watched from 6:30pm until 10pm on MSNBC of all channels- GOD, how I hate Chris Matthews, was a graceful display of intention, polish, and accountability. There was very little name calling, very little tooth-gnashing, and I concede that I teared up more than once listening to Mrs. Obama talk about how much she loves her husband and this country.

Because - at the end of every day - isn't our President just a man? A human with indiscretions, flaws, and doubts? I went out and voted for John Kerry in 2004, in a predominantly Democratic state where my vote perhaps didn't even make a statistically significant difference...and watched as my hopes for the end of Bush's reign were washed away on a swiftboat into the infamy that is a failed presidential campaign.

I wish I could find a clip of Obama's speech on Youtube - I am sure there will be one by the time this post is live. But for now, I will continue watching the DNC from Denver with interest, and hold out hope that the Republicans manage to conduct their event with the same dignity and respect.

All that said, the highlight of the evening (for me, at least) was undoubtedly Sasha Obama's commandeering of the microphone* during the Senator's live feed from Kansas City. If any of you have a 4-7 year old in your family who is even REMOTELY social, you will understand the blind confidence that they have in front of a crowd, a microphone, a living room, etc.

Turns out, Shakespeare was right. All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. I can't wait to see how the rest of this week develops.