Big Sky, Big Adventure
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
This past weekend, Sean and I traveled to Montana for the wedding of one of his closest college friends, B. He married a wonderful woman named E, and they lived happily ever after. Amen.

Actually, that's not all that happened, OF COURSE.

It was only my second time visiting anywhere even remotely close to the Pacific Northwest, and I have to say this - the Flathead Valley area of NW Montana is absolutely S.T.U.N.N.I.N.G. So gorgeous! We were only 45 minutes away from Glacier National Park, but had too busy a schedule to go and investigate it - although it did go straight onto the list of "vacations to take."

Day One - Friday evening, I drank too much and tasted my very first huckleberry. Apparently huckleberries are native to that area of Montana, and they were delicious reduced on top of and as a glaze for roasted chicken. Mmm! Also, I drank from a growler on a shuttle bus. Don't ask.

Day Two - The Wedding! The ceremony took place on a bluff overlooking Flathead Lake, which is the largest body of freshwater west of the Mississippi River. It sparkled and the day was clear, sunny, if a bit chilly, and perfect. Click here for my Flickr set. The reception was held on property owned by B's family - a long, spectacular piece of property stretching along the lakefront. I managed to stay under control for 98% of the time, until the alcohol kicked in and I started wandering around the dance floor taking video footage of white people dancing badly. I would post those as well, because I really don't know how ANYONE present on the reel would find this blog...but in truth, my voice in the clips is so shrill that I can barely stand to listen to myself speak. Totally embarassing.

Day Three - Post-wedding brunch at the home of the groom's parents. Gorgeous food, gorgeous views, and the hilarious vibe of caution where everyone sort of looks at one another and wonders if they all remember what they did last night. (I'm telling you, the wedding attendees were dancing and drinking fools - FOOLS! Myself included. It was awesome) Thank goodness for B's mother's cheesy potato casserole, or I would have been a mess. Flew back to Chicago through Denver, and put myself to bed.

Phew! Enjoy the pictures. Visit NW Montana. Have a great day.