Black Thumb Strikes Again
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
A couple weeks ago, I needed fresh basil for a recipe that I was experimenting with. In the produce section of my local Whole Foods (otherwise known as the home of all things heavenly and lovely, like nectarines and fresh guacamole), I saw Michigan-grown sweet basil plants. The potted plant was $4.99, and next to it, there was pre-picked, pre-packaged basil for $5.99.

Now I'm not an economics expert, but I know a good deal when I see one. So I bought the plant. It lasted roughly two meals, then I started to see brown spots eat away at some of the leaves. So I googled "basil plant care" and followed many instructions - watering occasionally, providing occasional sunlight, etc. And the damn plant still died.

What went wrong? Anyone out there have any tips for keeping basil alive? HALP!