Comfort Food
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
It's that time of year again. The time where my flannel-lined pants come out of storage, pumpkin bars are made regularly, and I start getting my hair caught in the zipper of my fleece jacket. Also? It's a time for comfort food. Last night, around 9pm, I decided that I needed to make chicken-n-rice casserole. Which I ate at midnight, while watching Oprah.

It occurred to me mid-bite that there was absolutely nothing special about the dish - the recipe originates on the back of a soup can, for crying out loud. But there is no denying that I'm just drawn to it. It's a comfort food for me. Other favorite comfort foods include:
- pot roast with carrots and potatoes
- blue box mac with hot dog pennies in it
- oatmeal
- popcorn
- crock-pot chili
- cheesy potato casserole
- warm muffins of any kind
- nachos from La Bamba (shut up)
- pasta salad w/salami and cheese chunks
- homemade cafe au lait in my striped mug
- baked beans

To me, there is (literally) no better feeling than the moment in which I can sit quietly and cross-legged, with a bowl of comfort food and just watch the wind blow across the lawn. It's one of the things I miss most about the house that I grew up in...that sense of serenity inside, while the chilly world continues outside. It's one of the things I greatly dislike about living in the city (no view, no lawn, etc.). Ah, well. Someday.

What are YOUR favorite comfort foods? Maybe I should add to my list. Suggest away!