What a Bunch of Turkeys
Friday, November 28, 2008
So, umm, yeah...I never really addressed Thanksgiving this week - no ramp up, no hoopla. I used to think Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday (because really, mashed potatoes for breakfast the next day is ten kinds of awesome), but now I think I'm a bit sour on it. This year was just a little too crazy for my liking -- by the time I was finished with my meal, I felt a tangible urge to get away from the table. So I started in on loading the dishwasher, and handwashing the miscellaneous array of casserole and presentation dishes scattered about.

45 minutes later, my hands were cracked and pruny. I'm weird - I realize this.

This morning, I went Black Friday shopping for the first time in my life. It was a kind of therapy because I am averse to crowds, and I have almost instant rage at people who dawdle unnecessarily in community spaces - sidewalks, crosswalks, hallways, etc. So my sister and our mother (and I) hit up the local KOHL'S. It wasn't bad, actually. Now I can say that I've done it, and not feel obliged to repeat the activity next year. Fun as it was...well, next year, I think I'll sleep.

Other highlights of the past two days:
- seeing my father stand on his very first snowboard
- spending time with family and friends
- laughing my a** off during a social experiment in which I walk directly behind my sister for as long as possible
- going on a nature hike with my niece and nephew
- the beautiful, sunny, brisk winter weather

Hope you all had a happy and healthy Thanksgiving holiday!