What Constitutes the Perfect Weekend, Anyway?
Sunday, March 08, 2009
Lately, I have been taking specific pleasure in my weekends. I have no idea why this is, but I can tell you that it's been a long time since I had that "holy cow, wasn't I just at work like five minutes ago?" feeling on a Monday morning.

Maybe it's getting errands run, vacuuming, or cooking - maybe it's the consistency of knowing that Sunday/race days bring buffalo chicken dip and chips? This weekend, I...

- wandered the library looking for sewing and home decor books
- marveled as
Jonna and her husband welcomed Baby Girl S into the world (courtesy of Twitter accounts - for all three of them. Oh yes. The baby has a Twitter account. She's a genius already.
- had a massive coronary when a clap of thunder
louder than any I've ever heard (no exaggeration) ripped through the skies yesterday afternoon
- ate the Bombalina platter and enjoyed some Pinot Noir with Sean at Maggiano's
- planned out the craziness that will be my life from oh...NOW until August 3rd. I signed up to run the
Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon out of some mysterious urge to do something ridiculous-and-totally-out-of-character (at least for me) before I turn 30.
- cursed the wet weather as my hair curled up into a fake-looking Shirley Temple wig
- mainly wore things made of jersey (Capezio drawstring lounge pants, represent!)
- booked a trip to Florida in early April - so far, the vacation itinerary involves (a) spending time with my niece and nephew, (b) hitting the pool, (c) golfing? maybe?, and (d) NOTHING ELSE IF I DON'T WANT TO. This trip is, as one might suspect, going to be all kinds of awesome.


Maybe these semi-mundane weekends are more entertaining to me because of the horrible economy. After all, it is difficult to splurge on anything crazy without a massive amount of guilt, and let's be honest - splurging in this financial environment is just not a smart idea. So I'm doing my best to find pleasure and satisfaction in the simpler things...cooking, reading, spending time with loved ones. We'll see how long it lasts before I feel the need to purchase an unnecessary handbag. Hehe.