ADHD in Action
Thursday, August 06, 2009
So, umm, hi? It has been a week or so since I last posted. MY BAD. It was as if my life noticed OOH OOH SOMETHING SHINY and *poof* went my blogging time/energy. Sorry, dudes and ladies, but sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

That said (and unnecessary apologies aside), guess what?! I ran a half-marathon this past Sunday! Can you believe it? BECAUSE I STILL CANNOT. Sadly, I didn't find it all that enjoyable. I didn't experience any of the things you hear about from runners and running magazines - no great epiphany about my own physical abilities, no overwhelming sense of pride, no runners high (though I am fairly certain I drank enough Cytomax to bring a grown man to his knees), and no real motivation to do it again. I felt some sort of overall satisfaction that I completed, and I'm certainly thrilled that I was able to raise funds for a wonderful organization...but I won't be renewing my membership in the 13.1 club.

Truth be told, I was bored. Really, really out of breath, and bored. How sad is that?! I basically plopped myself down into a sunny, energetic, teeming mass of 18,000 people with bands, and cheering fans, and twists, and turns, and participants with their shorts wedged up their butts like Borat, and I WAS STILL BORED OUT OF MY SKULL. I attribute this to my near-total lack of mental focus on the task at hand. I was really hoping to get that "mental clarity" that so many runners claim they enjoy the most - the "me time," the "time out" they feel they get from escaping for awhile. No such luck.

I did, however, get really excited when I realized all that exercise would justify eating half a pint of Chubby Hubby later that evening. Which is something to consider, really - Ben & Jerry's as motivation, that is. So that's exactly what I did...right after I popped a juicy blood blister on my toe, and iced down my old lady hip joint.

So, for now, "just do it" will remain a mantra most applicable to checkbook balancing and laundry - not to running. Oh well. Onwards and upwards!

Updates forthcoming: as soon as I can find a picture of me running in which I do not resemble a whale in grey capris. Also, my running playlist - for your enjoyment.