An Uncomfortable Equilibrium
Friday, August 21, 2009
Just when I think I can't be any more sick to my stomach about news like this, I find another story like this one and suddenly my personal, largely inconsequential hopes for the world are back in balance.

I'm just sick about this Lockerbie business. It turns my stomach to know that a man who willingly, knowingly, HAPPILY blew 259 people out of the sky (and 11 on the ground), forever altering the course of so many lives for the worst...that he's being allowed to die in peace with his loved ones, a privilege that he didn't feel necessary to extend to his own victims!...I just can't wrap my brain around the thought. It makes me nauseous and furious that he received such a warm welcome in Libya. Truly, it makes me so angry that I just want to punch somebody in the face. But he's just a man, a dying one at that. I don't know what to think. Justice and compassion, in this instance, make for strange bedfellows.

Cancer care for the uninsured, though, now THAT is something I can get behind.