Worth Far More Than 1,000 Words
Monday, August 17, 2009
I received another phenomenal birthday gift yesterday - from someone I don't even know in real life. I've been following Stephanie Nielson's blog for a long time - maybe a year and a half? She is without a doubt one of the kindest, most gentle people I have ever had the pleasure of not knowing. (ha) She is clever, crafty, and has the most adorable redheaded daughter. (not that I have ANY SORT OF BIAS TO REDHEADED CHILDREN. Ahem.) She lives life with passion, and in saying that, I make no exaggeration.

She and her husband survived a near-fatal plane crash exactly one year ago, yesterday. I would tell you more, but that's all you really need to know. (Theirs is a story that has received quite a bit of attention from the press, most of which comes from the internet rising up to support their family during this difficult time)

Stephanie has been, understandably, reluctant to reveal herself in photos on her site. I cannot imagine the internal struggle she has been through this past year - reconciling her life as it is NOW, versus what she perceived it to be THEN. Ultimately, it's not a question of how she looks (or looked) - it becomes a question of when she decides she is ready to be open to...well, the entire world, really.

And now she is. She is triumphant! in this action, in her own quiet, thoughtful way. I have been waiting and worrying all this time, and wondering - ever hopeful - when she might eventually feel comfortable enough to take this step. And she has.

Here's to you, stylish, sassy, superhero Stephanie. Thank you for teaching me about all the things I didn't know that I so desperately needed to know. What a wonderful birthday gift.