Old Lang Syne
Monday, August 16, 2010
So all acquaintances, as my college years have proved, cannot in fact be forgot. I'm just sayin'. What does that song mean, anyways? Furthermore, WHY am I always curious in a rhetorical way?

Today was my first "thirtysomething" birthday - not thirty, but rather, thirty and change. Thirty with benefits. (umm...OR NOT) And instead of popping over here to complain about how I'm not married, thin, successful, or possessing a house full of fiery-headed children in tutus and gym shoes, I'm just going to carpe positivity and remember why today was a pretty great day indeed.

1. Finding a birthday note from my mom under my car keys this morning.

2. INCREDIBLE, beautiful weather today in Chicago. As I said briefly to my friend Jen, it was as if Jesus knew it was my birthday today. He just knew! Can you believe it?! Truly awesome weather - cooler, breezy, sunny, lovely.

3. A sunshiny cab ride to work along the incredible, vibrant streets of this city. MY GOD, this city is gorgeous. I was in such a good mood this morning, I nearly snapped a cell photo of the back of the Civic Opera Building to remember it by.

4. The smell of fresh chocolate in the air. Did you know that Chicago was once the world's capital of candy and confectionery companies? It's true! As food and consumer packaged goods companies combine and slowly take over the world, it's nice to know that some of the good stuff is still being made right in our backyard.

5. Lunch with a friend at my favorite "guilty pleasure" restaurant to chat about nothing and gossip.

6. Phone calls and FB messages GALORE from the people that care about me. Honestly, what is better than that? Thanks to everyone who took a moment to recognize the day - even though you all knew that I would hate the attention. ;)

7. It sounds cliche, but I have my health - as does my entire extended family (close friends included). Some things may not be perfect, but for the most part, I am so lucky to be relieved of this particular worry in life. Thanks to God (or whomever you choose to worship) for that one. I am so grateful.

All in all, not a bad day.

PHEW!

I wonder what the next year will bring?