(Please Don't Really) Send In the Clowns
Saturday, October 09, 2010
Just got off the treadmill, and as it turns out I AM STILL OVERWEIGHT. Despite my wishes, a 3.3 mile run/walk session did not (a) eliminate all my cellulite, (b) make my pants look any better, or (c) make my ankles skinnier. Ah well. Someone once told me that regular exercise and a healthy diet are the key to weight loss. I'll have to look into that.

I've been thinking a lot about myself lately (shocker!) but not in the normal, vain, woe-is-me-and-my-first-world-problems way. Someone recently told me that I am mean when I've had too much to drink. The B word may have been tossed in there, too, and while I assure you this was said in the most straightforward, diplomatic way possible, it was still said. And it still hurt my feelings. Because, on occasion, I suppose it's true. The sting has, for the most part, worn off now but the message is stuck like glue to the inside of my brain.

So imagine my arched eyebrow when I read Moose's inspiring post which was derived in spirit from this post by Brene Brown. Sometimes it's good to remember that not everything is perfect, and that despite our inadequacies and faults, life will shake out just fine. I need to remember this more often.

So here's mine - the good and the bad:

I'm not entirely sure I'm doing the best I can. And I'm not entirely sure I care.

Sometimes, I drink too much. Not often, and before you ask, no - I'm not concerned about it, but it is a hard fact - and one that probably isn't helping the whole weight loss thing.

People compliment me on my skin and hair.

Everything I'm thinking shows up on my face. I can help it sometimes, and I do try (when appropriate) to remain discreet. But mostly I just let it fly. I'd rather be remembered/appreciated for being genuine than for being polite.

I'm judgmental and critical, most often of myself.

I can make almost anyone laugh.

I am afraid that if I slow down too much, I'll never get going again.

The phrase "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life" is annoying to me - not just because I find platitudes like this convenient and cloying, but also because I'm jealous that can't say I've ever done what I loved for a living.

Saying no is not easy for me, but as life gets more complicated, I'm learning.

I am relatively well-traveled for my age.

I am concerned that if I don't start soon, I won't be able to have children.

Jobs that I used to dream of having are: ballerina, morning radio DJ, high school english teacher, professional organizer, life coach. I'm sure that last one would be the best option, as I'm GREAT at giving advice to others but never applying it to my own life. Hehe.

I still harbor fantasies of moving to another state, even though I've already done that and it didn't turn out well.

Asking for help scares me.

I am jealous of my friends who got married right out of college and had their children young. I know they missed out on the things I've done and might assert the "grass is greener" response, but still. I feel like they're ahead of me somehow.

I need to remember that life is not a race, and that we are all on our own tracks.

(deep breath)

Now you can all do me a huge favor and put one of your own in the comments field - make it anonymous if you wish - just so I know I'm not the only one out here with a case of the crazies. Thanks for listening.