(deep breath)
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Apparently summer is a rough time for my dog - it sure was last year. The past couple of days, he simply hasn't been right. Something has been "off," and he hasn't been himself - so I made plans to take him to the vet today.

After a tenuous night of un-Doc-like behavior, I woke up this morning to find him banging his head against the wall. Literally. I don't think I've ever gotten out of bed that fast. I'll spare you the details of any bodily fluids that may have been inadvertantly emitted, but sufficed to say that he collapsed and lost most of his muscle control and balance. He kept trying to stand up and regain his balance but was unsuccessful and kept falling over into the wall. It was awful, and I came completely unglued. The weirdest part of all? He had his episode right as my alarm was going off, as if he had tried to wait until I was awake.

A few minutes (and some heartwrenchingly pathetic whimpers) later, I put him on the bathroom rug to rest, got in the shower and put on a clean version of my pajamas. I carried him to the car, and we headed straight for the vet. He's there right now, undergoing tests, while I sit here at work, unable to concentrate.

Hopefully it's just a mild case of gastritis like last summer, and not something with his spinal nerves, or his brain. I'll know more later, but for now, please keep your fingers crossed.