I have been noticing recently that many bloggers have this little link entitled "100 Things About Me" on their blogs. Apparently it's supposed to personalize a blog, in this anonymous, online safety-savvy blog culture. Not one to be out of step with popular culture, I immediately began work on my list. It took me 5 days.
Here we go...100 Things About Me
1. Sometimes I make that fake, foreign stir-in hot drink mix and let it sit on my desk because I like the smell of French Vanilla in my office.
2. I am obsessed with CraigsList
3. I talk to my dog like I would another person, because baby voices annoy me.
4. I love anything with vinegar in it- salad dressing, pickles, ketchup, buffalo sauce, you name it. Except cole slaw. (gag)
5. I once showered with my sneakers on in junior high (after gym), because I was wearing them without socks and was afraid that I would get teased by the other girls for having stinky feet.
6. I have a little snoring problem – it wakes up the dog sometimes.
7. I have trouble remembering details of my childhood and adolescence. I honestly think I just wasn’t paying enough attention to my own life.
8. My first car was a red ‘91 Dodge Daytona hatchback. The doors used to freeze OPEN in the wintertime, and I would have to drive with one hand while the other was yanking on the door to keep it shut.
9. I’m not good at keeping secrets. I can do it if I absolutely have to, but…
10. I am scared of very deep water.
11. I love to clean toilets.
12. My dream job is to be a Professional Organizer
13. I love it when strangers de-lurk and comment on my blog.
14. I hate practical jokes and stupid physical comedy, and don’t appreciate the humor of shows like “Punk’d” or “Jackass.” I simply don’t find them funny.
15. I am a horrendous snoozer in the morning.
16. I love the number 16, and NOT because it’s my birthdate.
17. The only kind of bugs that scare me are the ones big enough to bite, or that seem like they’re staring at me.
18. I hate the color pink.
19. I am active with the Avon Foundation
for Breast Cancer Research & Prevention.
20. I want to have at least 3 children someday.
21. I get a HUGE thrill out of cleaning out my email inbox – I like to keep less than 15 emails in it at all times.
22. I love bins and containers of all types, especially underbed boxes. Yes, I’m aware that it’s bad feng shui to store things under a bed, but c’mon – I live in an apartment. Cut me some slack.
23. I am finding it hard to write this list. 100 things is a lot! Who is the genius that made this activity up?
24. Sometimes I search talent database website to see if there are any interesting casting calls going on in Chicago. Anybody need a short, pale extra?
25. I hate competition, interpersonal friction, awkward situations, and rudeness.
26. In order of preference: winter, fall, spring, summer. I dislike being sweaty.
27. I remember the randomly generated password I received from my university upon registering.
28. When I’m bored, I download free fonts onto my computer.
29. I have always dreamed of going to Ireland, Egypt, and South Africa.
30. I hate cats.
31. I secretly love listening to Carly Simon and Joni Mitchell, especially on rainy days.
32. When no one else is at home, I sing my favorite show tunes at the top of my lungs.
33. I have a compulsive habit of looking at my planner, paranoid that I will forget some hugely important social engagement.
34. I am obsessed with Carlos Santana heels – who knew that a musician could also design kick-ass stilettos?! I have two pairs, and am currently coveting a pair of brown pumps with leafy beading
35. My favorite condiment is ketchup, with BBQ sauce running a very close second.
36. My least favorite SATC moment is when Carrie goes out to lunch with Mr. Big, has too many martinis, breaks down in the middle of the restaurant, and then trips on her way out. I feel so bad for her, I have to fast-forward through it every time.
37. I think that people who wear too much clothing from Anthropologie
look like old ladies. (see: Mary Kate Olsen)
38. All through school, I never once cheated. Not once.
39. I didn’t write on desks, either.
40. In 6th and 7th grade, I was in the Computer Club.
41. My retainers are made of a glitter plastic (silver). They don’t fit in my mouth anymore.
42. I find NASCAR
interesting and entertaining.
43. I probably would have stayed in Tennessee if I had friends or family living nearby.
44. I know how to double-dutch.
45. I have very weak fingernails, and have to keep them short.
46. I am obsessed with the Post-It Notes with lines on them.
47. I love to karaoke, but won’t sing unless I’m wasted.
48. Human characteristics that annoy me: those who meddle in other people’s business, people who invite themselves places, people who are naturally touchy feely…I’m pretty territorial about my personal space.
49. I felt personally connected to Lenny Kravitz throughout my college years. To this day, I really don’t know why.
50. Condensation on glasses and cups bothers me – I have an absorbable stone coaster on my desk for this very purpose.
51. I am a replica of my mother in appearance, but with my father’s complexion and hair color.
52. People who line up their back windows with tons of random stuffed animals bother me. Can someone please explain this behavior to me?
53. I love margaritas and Mexican food.
54. My hips pop constantly, sometimes audibly.
55. I look really bad in tube tops and other strapless shirts. I need at least 1 strap.
56. I used to prance around in my mom’s old toe shoes when I was little – I think they are the reason I began dancing.
57. I enjoy deep tissue massage, but only on my back and legs.
58. I have premature eye/forehead wrinkles, because I can never find a pair of sunglasses that I like.
59. I hate my nose (reason for #58).
60. I am most productive in the afternoon.
61. I always wear eyeliner.
62. My favorite color is blue – esp. “Columbia” blue, cerulean, and royal.
63. The most liberating thing I ever did was switch from a Palm Pilot back to a paper planner. It’s just more “me” to have little post-its and notes everywhere.
64. I always misspell the word “separate.”
65. I have a mini iPod
66. I detest the font “Times New Roman,” and all of its variations – yuck.
67. People who don’t knock annoy me – anyone who walks into my office without announcing their presence will be ignored. Half the time I legitimately don’t even notice them standing there.
68. I hate the taste of water.
69. Every so often I attempt to cut my hair very short and, more often than not, end up regretting it.
70. I have an unabashed love for beer.
71. I feel somewhat arrogant writing this list.
72. I had various stomach problems from 8th to 11th grade that we never could diagnose, and that went away without explanation during my junior year.
73. I think log homes are tacky, even in the middle of the forest.
74. I love the smell of cedar.
75. I have always wanted to paint a bathroom in my home in (tasteful) shades of yellow and brown, just to see if anyone notices.
76. I love double-sided tape. Best thing since the advent of tampons and electricity.
77. I am awful at hanging mirrors & pictures – the concept of wall anchors is totally befuddling to me.
78. I’ve never understood the phrase “For Pete’s sake…” Who the hell is Pete, and why are w e all meant to cater our behavior to suit his needs?!
79. I recently developed a liking for guacamole. I still don’t like plain avocado.
80. I look best in gold jewelry, not silver- I’m allergic to sterling silver, so if you ever want to buy me anything, go for the gold (white or yellow).
81. I have always wondered how Michael Jackson did that leaning trick in the “Smooth Criminal” video.
82. I learned to snowboard this year. I am not good, at least not yet.
83. I prefer to buy books, as opposed to going to the library. I like owning them, so I can always go back and re-read if I want to.
84. Just because I’m a redhead, doesn’t mean I’m Irish.
85. I dislike leather furniture, because you can’t nap on it – what if you drool? Then you wake up either stuck to the couch, or find you’ve just slept in a warm pool of your own saliva.
86. Chocolate – need I say more?
87. The only vegetables that I will not eat are kale and brussel sprouts.
88. I traveled in and out of the big train station in Washington DC once, and felt like a 1920’s millionaire walking through it. I think train travel is very romantic.
89. I think Chicago
is the best city on earth. London runs a close second, and D.C. and San Francisco are tied for third.
90. Architecture from the 1970’s confuses me. Why all the concrete?!
91. In junior high, I had one obsession per grade level: domestic poverty (6), the Titanic (7), and Frank Lloyd Wright (8).
92. I was generously given all of the original American Girls dolls (3!) when I was younger, but never really played with them.
93. I have a large keychain collection – I stopped actively collecting when I was about 16, but can’t seem to part with it.
94. I love garden accessories and shopping for plants, but am still iffy on all the effort it takes to actually grow something. I never remember to water.
95. I love coffee, but mostly as dessert after a long meal.
96. O’Hare airport thrills me. I never get tired of walking around and pretending that I’m going somewhere interesting and foreign.
97. I was an active Girl Scout
until I turned 21.
98. I never say Jane or John Doe to describe the “everyman” or anonymous person in a hypothetical story – I prefer to use Polly Pringle and Joe Lunchbucket.
99. I am almost done with this list.
100. I like disco music.